How to Compile Boost for All Versions of Visual Studio
Altaf Navalur
2009-06-26 20:41:54 UTC
Hello,
I have installed VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008 in my PC. I have to work on
all these versions. When I compile boost, it only compiles for VS 2008. How
do I compile it for all the three IDE`s?

Thanks,
Altaf
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
Sebastian Redl
2009-06-26 21:11:46 UTC
Post by Altaf Navalur
Hello,
I have installed VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008 in my PC. I have to work
on all these versions. When I compile boost, it only compiles for VS
2008. How do I compile it for all the three IDE`s?
The toolset option to bjam should allow you to specify the VS version.

bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 ; for VS 2008
bjam toolset=msvc-8.0 ; for VS 2005
bjam toolset=msvc-7.1 ; for VS 2003

Sebastian
Altaf Navalur
2009-06-26 21:17:01 UTC
When I execute it as follows, I am getting error "vc8.0.jam: No such file or
directory"

C:\common\boost_1_39_0>bjam.exe --toolset=vc8.0
vc8.0.jam: No such file or directory

Steven Watanabe
2009-06-26 22:24:58 UTC
AMDG
Post by Altaf Navalur
When I execute it as follows, I am getting error "vc8.0.jam: No such file or
directory"
C:\common\boost_1_39_0>bjam.exe --toolset=vc8.0
vc8.0.jam: No such file or directory
It isn't vc8.0, it's msvc-8.0
Altaf Navalur
Steven Watanabe
2009-06-26 23:47:19 UTC
AMDG
Post by Altaf Navalur
I tried all varieties, Still same problem.
Where should I keep "boost-build" folder?
What boost-build folder are you referring to?
How did you get Boost? If you downloaded
a distribution from sourceforge, you shouldn't
need to deal with Boost.Build independently.

What exactly do you get with
bjam toolset=msvc-8.0
?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe
Altaf
2009-06-26 23:53:00 UTC
Ah... Finally it`s working. I created an environment variable BOOST_ROOT.
I used bjam.exe from "boost-jam-3.1.13-1-ntx86.zip"

Steven Watanabe
Steven Watanabe
2009-06-27 00:00:28 UTC
AMDG
Post by Altaf
Ah... Finally it`s working. I created an environment variable BOOST_ROOT.
This shouldn't be needed.
Post by Altaf
I used bjam.exe from "boost-jam-3.1.13-1-ntx86.zip"
That's a really old version of bjam. What version of Boost are you using?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe
Altaf
2009-06-27 12:49:08 UTC
I am using boost_1_39_0

Steven Watanabe
Vladimir Prus
2009-06-27 13:05:17 UTC
Post by Altaf
I am using boost_1_39_0
In that case, all you need is:

.\bootstrap.bat
.\bjam toolset=msvc-8.0

Is that not working? Did you miss these instructions in getting started guide,
or used an older version of it?

- Volodya
Altaf
2009-06-27 14:05:19 UTC
I had missed : .\bootstrap.bat

Zachary Turner
2009-06-26 21:12:31 UTC
Post by Altaf Navalur
Hello,
  I have installed VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008 in my PC. I have to work on
all these versions. When I compile boost, it only compiles for VS 2008. How
do I compile it for all the three IDE`s?
Each version of MSVC ships with its own command prompt. Open the
corresponding command prompt, then cd to the boost build directory and
use the 'toolset=' option on the command line when you build.
Steven Watanabe
2009-06-26 21:25:28 UTC
AMDG
Post by Zachary Turner
Post by Altaf Navalur
Hello,
I have installed VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008 in my PC. I have to work on
all these versions. When I compile boost, it only compiles for VS 2008. How
do I compile it for all the three IDE`s?
Each version of MSVC ships with its own command prompt. Open the
corresponding command prompt, then cd to the boost build directory and
use the 'toolset=' option on the command line when you build
The command prompt is unnecessary. Boost.Build searches
the registry for known versions of msvc. If you don't specify
a version, the default is the most recent one found.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe
Steven Watanabe
2009-06-26 21:13:54 UTC
AMDG
Post by Altaf Navalur
I have installed VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008 in my PC. I have to work on
all these versions. When I compile boost, it only compiles for VS 2008. How
do I compile it for all the three IDE`s?
bjam toolset=msvc-7.1 toolset=msvc-8.0 toolset=msvc-9.0 <other options>

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe
M***@thomsonreuters.com
2009-06-26 21:14:07 UTC
Having just built Boost for VS2008 in 64-bit, this is still fresh in my
mind. :)

On the bjam command line, you can tell it which toolset to use:
toolset=msvc-8.0 for VS2005
toolset=msvc-9.0 for VS2008
(I don't know if "msvc-7.1" is correct for VS2003, but it follows the
format.)

If you want to force a 32-bit or 64-bit build, add one of these:
address-model=32
address-model=64
Of course "64" will only work with compilers that support it.)

One other thing that helps a lot: Run the bjam command from a
VisualStudio command prompt for the specific version of VisualStudio.
That will ensure all the necessary environment is setup.

Mike

________________________________

Steven Watanabe
2009-06-26 21:31:55 UTC
AMDG
Post by M***@thomsonreuters.com
One other thing that helps a lot: Run the bjam command from a
VisualStudio command prompt for the specific version of VisualStudio.
That will ensure all the necessary environment is setup.
This shouldn't be needed since Boost.Build calls the appropriate batch file
to set up the environment before running the compiler.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe